Online two-day Conference “Immediate and Wider European Security Considerations”– January 13 and 14, 2022
Immediate and Wider European Security Considerations
The EU Security Watch Spot, pillar of the Jean Monnet Project (Erasmus+) entitled “Enhancing the Debate about Intercultural Dialogue, EU Values and Diversity-EUVaDis”, at the Department of International and European Studies of the University of Macedonia organizes an online two-day conference entitled “Immediate and Wider European Security Considerations”. The conference will be held in English via the online platform Zoom, on Thursday 13 January (15:30-19:20) and Friday, 14 January 2022 (16:00-20:20).
A welcome greeting will be made by Professor Ilias Kouskouvelis, Head of the Department of International and European Studies at the University of Macedonia at 16:00 on Thursday, January 13th.
The conference is honored to have as a Keynote Speaker, General (ret.) Mikhail Kostarakos, Honorary Chief of Staff of the HNDGS and former Chairman of the European Union Military Committee.
The five thematic topics of the conference will be addressed by a number of academics, subject matter experts and young researchers, as follows:
First Session: Culture and Norms in the EU External Relations (13/01/2022, 16:30- 17:50)
– Kjell Engelbrekt, Professor of Political Science, Swedish Defense University – Konstantina E. Botsiou, Professor Elect of Contemporary History and International Policy, Department of International and European Studies, University of Piraeus – Dr. Chris Kremidas-Courtney, Senior Fellow for Peace, Security, and Defense, Friends of Europe
– Konstantinos Ifantis, Professor of International Relations, Department of International, European and Regional Studies, Panteion University
Second Session: Exporting the Values of the Union in the Context of the EU Foreign Policy (13/01/2022, 18:00-19:20)
– Dr. Konstantinos Balomenos, Director General, Directorate for Civil Defense and International Relations, Ministry of National Defense
– Revecca Pedi, Assistant Professor of International Relations, Department of International and European Studies, University of Macedonia
– Panagiota Manoli, Assistant Professor of Political Economy International Relations, Department of Political Science and International Relations, University of Peloponnese – Dionysia Tsolaki, Ph.D. Candidate, Department of International and European Studies, University of Macedonia
Third Session: The EU and the Mediterranean – Past Experience and Future Challenges (14/01/2022, 16:00-17:20)
– Dr. Daniel Beaudoin, Executive Director, International Society for Military Ethics in Europe
– Alexandros Mallias, Ambassador ad honorem
– Konstantinos Tzanetakos, First Lieutenant, Hellenic Air Force
– Konstantinos Zarras, Assistant Professor Elect, Department of International and European Studies, University of Macedonia
Fourth Session: Cultural Awareness in EU Missions and Operations (14/01/2022, 17:20- 18:40)
– Kalliopi Hainoglou, Assistant Professor of International Law, Department of International and European Studies, University of Macedonia
– Evangelia Kiosi, Lieutenant Colonel, Deputy Director of the College of the Legal Corps, Hellenic Armed Forces
– Fotini Bellou, Assistant Professor of International Relations, Department of International and European Studies, University of Macedonia, Head of EU Security Watch Spot, Jean Monnet Project “EUVadis”
– Ioannis Pateras, BGen. (ret.), PhD Candidate, Department of International and European Studies, University of Macedonia
Fifth Session: Religion, Terrorism, and the New Fundamentalism (14/01/2022, 18:50- 19:50)
– James Gow, Professor of International Peace and Security, Department of War Studies, King’s College London
– Vasilios Koutsoliakos, Police Lieutenant Colonel, Hellenic Police Force – Arthur Atanesyan, Professor, Head of the Department of Applied Sociology, State University of Armenia
– Imankalyan Lahiri, Professor, Department of International Relations, Jadavpur University, India
– Christos Nikas, Professor of International Economic Relations and Economic Integration, Department of International and European Studies, University of Macedonia
The working language of the event will be English while no interpretation or translation services will be available.
There is no Conference attendance fee whereas registration is required through the following link:
After the completion of the abovementioned registration process, registrants will receive the live streaming event link in the e-mail used during their respective online signup. The streaming link will be identical for both days of the Conference.
Attendees will be awarded Certificates of attendance via the email used for their event registration.
More information can be found on the Jean Monnet EU Vadis project website: https://jmpeuvadis.uom.gr or on the relevant Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/JMP.EUVaDis/.
For any further questions or additional information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.